I'm in Detroit and loving it...hahaha. I've been here for the past 6 hours or so, just relaxing and doing my own thing. Nothing is sinking in yet. I need to just wake up and realize what I'm about to be doing. It is kind of crazy that I am heading to a city where I really know no one. I have a few connections thanks to great friends, and I have a feeling it will all work out. But it is still strange. Everywhere I have ever moved to or gone, I have known someone first. This will be new. Sometimes I have the urge to just cut myself off, no internet, no phone, nothing. But I know Mom & Dad will worry, so I resist the urge. But maybe at some point I will do it while I'm there. Anyway, right now I'm feeling extremely tired. I stayed up all night last night, and slept only maybe a total of 30 minutes on the plane here. Hopefully I will pass out on my way to Paris. So the itinerary from here is arrive in Paris at 11:30am or so, then leave at 1:30pm for Cairo. I arrive in Cairo at 7pm, and a driver from the Arabic school I am attending will be there (hopefully) to greet me and take me to my hotel. I will be staying in my hotel for a couple of nights, and then Sunday I have my placement test, along with an orientation session and possibly meeting up with people to live with while I'm there. Allllllright. I'll let you know how it goes as soon as I have internet access again, which shouldn't be too long according to travel books that say that internet cafes are quite common in Cairo now.
The Detroit airport has been good to me. I bought a journal and wrote in it while I listened to a bunch of stuffy old men talk about business in the "world club" of NWA. But I got free wine/beer/cocktails that I took full advantage of all afternoon, along with wifi access (obviously because I am able to post right now), comfortable chairs, and a view of the runway. Not too shabby. After reading my Egypt travel book, I am slightly nervous (but the excitement overrides the nervousness). Too much mention of terrorist attacks for my comfort level, BUT...the chances that I'll get mugged or raped or murdered in Houston are much higher than anything happening to me in Egypt. Ah. So comforting.
Well I suppose that's pretty much it for now. I board my plane to Paris in about 30 minutes. I hope everything stays awesome here in the States. I miss you all already.
Thursday, May 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment