But before I do that... just thought I would share a couple things before I forget. First, Cairo is amazing. Ok, so I haven't seen it that much yet (just the crazy c
Even the view from my hotel room is slightly unreal to me right now (this is it).
Oh man, I think all of this just after a 45 minute cab ride. I wonder what I'll think when I actually get out there tomorrow. Hahaha.
Speaking of the cab ride, no one stays in traffic lanes here. Driving is a free for all. Including pedestrians, who randomly popped out in front of us a couple times, and a motorcycle who almost got hit off of his motorcycle because he was driving on the side and someone ahead of us opened their door to stop him. Hahaha. My driver brought his family (daughter, wife, and nephew). It was pretty awesome. None of them spoke English, but I had fun time trying to figure things out. :) They were so funny, loud, and they tried to talk to me even though I had no clue. I figured some things out. For example, apparently David Beckham was or is in town for a game and there is some sort of rivalry (not sure whether on attractiveness or soccer abilities) between this popular soccer player Egyptian guy (who I think I'm watching talk on TV right now) and that was a big deal. Oh, and then this motorcade passed us, and I said, "OH, is that David Beckham?" and they just laughed at me. I think they thought I was joking, but I was serious. And then they said, "Haha, oh, that's just President Mubarak's advisor." WHAT? Haha. Cool, I guess! They said that I look Arab, and I said I know. Hahaha. I wanted to say, "I look like everything" but I don't think they would've understood. Awesome people. So happy they drove me. Took about 45 minutes of madness to get to my hotel. The bellman was great too. The plane ride from Paris to Cairo was awesome...
I slept for a bit of it, but then I started talking to the man sitting next to me who is a Cairene and he has a daughter who is about my age and he ended up giving me all his daughter's info so hopefully I will meet up with her at some point. He is a doctor and travels around West Africa medicalling for US contractors in those regions (at least that's what I gathered). We had a great convo, and hopefully I'll meet up with his daughter soon. Everyone's just so awesome so far. Love it love it love it. Highly recommended city. Well....I guess I can't recommend it yet. Just got here. I'll let you know in a few days.
Right now I'm just lounging in my room, watching a fairly attractive (surprisingly) Egyptian man sing a cool song. I'm not really sure what I'm watching actually. Maybe an egyptian version of Entertainment Tonight? Really interesting. Hm. Oh, and I just found out that guy that I saw earlier was not the Egyptian David Beckham, but some other singer dude. Women are wearing really skimpy clothes on tv.... geez. One lady just walked out in a leather halter dress with thigh-high boots. WHAT?! hahaha. ok. Wasn't expecting that.
Ok, bedtime for me! I'm exhausted. Gotta get in the zone, like I said.
5 comments:
Yay, Leila! Cairo sounds so incredible, and I'm sure by the end of the summer you will still have them convinced you're Arab even after an entire conversation in Arabic. :) Also, please send me the Egyptian David Beckham, ok? Can't wait to read more tales of your adventures!
LOL ! im glade your having fun! like i said to you before, i wish i went with you. Yea you will see alot of women wearing skimpy clothes. Its in style. LOL
Reham
Leila, I'm so glad you posted the pictures and are keeping up with your blog. I can hardly wait to read the next installment. Do the women in the street dress more modestly or are they pretty much wearing the same stuff you'd see here? How's the food? Have you gotten an upset stomach? Looking forward to hearing more!
Love,
Mom
You Made it Leila Sweet!!!
Wow Wow Wow Leila Sweet!! I am amazed Leila Sweet. I read your entire Blog from the 2 weeks prior to you leaving all the way into the time that you're going to bed for your 1st night in this Cairo hotel. It's amazing Leila. I love the way you describe things. I almost felt like I was right there with you riding from Cairo's hotel in that cab with the Egyptian family. What an exciting trip Leila Sweet. I am really excited about what you're gonna get to see and where you are and what you will be learning. Just by being there. The night pictures of Cairo are awesome. Like I said I read your entire blog and I really enjoyed it. I feel like I am in the Zone!!
Anyways, I hope you get a real good night of sleep and venture out and about and go see these places. I really thought you'd probably love Cairo and Egypt in general. SO far so good!!
That's the way to do it actually the way you've done it. All a surprise! because wherever you go and do it's all new and different like you said. You know you could pass as anything in this world because you look Arabic to eastern European to Italian to Spanish from Spain to Spanish from south America to Iranian to American ! so that's goods to have that kind of look. Nobody knows what you are.. Just to be funny!
I am so glad for you Leile Sweet. I look forward to seeing more pictures and your stores of Egypt and Cairo.
2 questions: how's the food so far ? How are the people: sounds like friendly? how is the weather? It sounds like you said to Mom that it was pretty good and it's not too hot.
Now be very careful sweet walking those streets with crazy drivers. It all sounds like lots of fun. Everyone here sends their love and asking about you like Azar, Roya, Mamman, and Mom and Lida and everyone here.
Tonight we go to Touraj's house for Paniz's graduation kind of get-together. So, we'll see everyone there and Paniz.
Right now it's about 11:00 a./m. Saturday and the weather is pretty good here about 65 degrees. It's supposed to be pretty good. And I guess it must be about 7:00 or 8:00 at night? You are probably roaming around Cairo. So, Have lots of fun and enjoy it.
We miss you as always. Have a wonderful and exciting and fun times in Cairo and Egypt and Beyond.
Daddy Loves!
I'll talk to you soon..
Love you Leila sweet!
Leila Sweet.. is the correct name I am glad you go by that .. That's great !!
I can't decide what I enjoy reading more... Your Blog, which has the obviously benefits of elegant prose describing both the atmosphere and adventures of your trip, OR, your parents comments! They are SO SWEET!!!!!
Anyhow, I am glad you are keeping up with your blog! It helps me escape my boring office life and allows me to live vicariously through you! Although, I must voice my disappointment... I thought for sure I would be reading about mean spitting camels and cursed mummies by now... Stupid western media, they ruin everything....
Miss ya kiddo! Stay safe and don't get any sand in those lovely eyes of yours... That would be a damn tragedy!
Mike
Post a Comment